The Pinewood Derby is a fantastic event that lets Parent(s) and their Son(s) show off their team work to have the fastest time, the best looking paint job in a number of caregories, but most importantly, to have a great time together.
Pack 297 Rules
Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it will be allowed to
The Inspection Committee has the responsibility to disqualify those cars that do not
meet these specifications.
- The car weight shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. The official race scale shall be considered final.
- The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
- The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2.75 inches.
- The car must have 1.75" clearance between the wheels.
- The car must have 0.375" clearance underneath the body.
- The wood provided in the kit must be used. The block may be shaped any way that is desired.
- The wheels supplied with the kit must be used. The wheels may not be cut, drilled, beveled or rounded. You may remove the seam from the wheels.
- The axles supplied with the kit must be used. They may be polished or lubricated.
- Wheel bearings, washers or bushings are prohibited.
- The car must not ride on any type of springs.
- The car must be freewheeling, with no starting devices. The car may have no moving parts or loose material of any kind, such as lead shot, may be used.
- Details such as the steering wheel, driver, decals, painting, and interior detail are permissible as long as these details do not exceed the maximum length, width, and weight specifications.
- The car should include the number hand written on the outside of the box. Include the number in the design by painting, stickers, etc. That is the number that will be used to identify the car during the judging and racing.
- If, during a race, a car leaves the track without interfering with its opponent, it shall be considered to have ended its heat at that point.
- If a car leaves its lane, at his sole discretion, the track chairman may inspect the track and, if a track fault is found which probably caused the initial violation; the track chairman may order the race to be rerun after the track is repaired.
- If, during a race, no car reaches the finish line on the track, the car which went the farthest in its lane shall be declared as the heat winner.
- If, during a race, a car leaves its lane and, in so doing, interferes with another racer, then the car at fault shall be declared to have lost the race heat.
- Construction of ALL entries MUST have begun AFTER last year's races.
- Only one car may be registered by any person in the Pinewood Derby.
- Only dry lubricants such as graphite or powdered Teflon "white lube" will be allowed for lubricating the wheels. Lubricants may not foul the track.
- Only one lubrication is allowed after inspections and before the beginning of the first race. Lubricating the car after the first race is prohibited, not other lubrications will be allowed.
- Speed trophies will be awarded to the fastest cars.
- Design trophies will be awarded. Categories which will be announced in advance.
- There may be an adult/sibling exhibition race after the Cub Scout races.